Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Guide for First-Time Passport Applicants in Davao

My Experience Getting My Very Own Passport In Davao City.
  

Before I got my own passport from DFA Davao, I was clueless as to where to begin. I did not know which documents to procure and present upon my application and what to do with them thereafter. But when I managed to complete the process myself, I realized that the process is not as complicated or intimidating as it seems. Hence, I would like to share my experiencing applying for my passport for the first time so that other first-timers can learn more about the process and make it easier for them to handle it.

The most basic step I did when applying for a passport is to obtain the documents required by the DFA. These documents include an NSO-authenticated birth certificate, passport application form (that must be filled out with your personal details), and any 3 supporting documents, such as voter's ID, driver's license, SSS ID, and other IDs issued by the government. All of these documents are designed for personal identification and verification.

Once I had prepared all of the above documents and they are ready, I headed to the DFA office so I can submit those documents. You can visit the DFA office at Jacinto Street fronting the motorpool for Ateneo de Davao University. You can easily identify the building because there is a Philippine flag in front.

There are three important steps involved in the processing of your passport application. First off, you have to set up an appointment so that your application can be processed. The DFA recently issued some changes to the processing format of passports in the country and they also introduced the new e-Passport system. Unlike before wherein you can simply walk into the DFA office and have it processed and released within the same day, the changes has meant that you can only set up an appointment on your first visit to their office. You will be directed to the Information Desk wherein your passport application form is stamped with date and time of the processing schedule for your passport. Without your stamped schedule, you will not be entertained on your next visit.

Then, the actual processing begins at a later date. Don't forget to bring the original and photocopy versions of the required documents to avoid delays. Wait for your turn to be called in at the DFA office because you will be interviewed. Next on the list is the encoding section (this is also when your picture will be taken). An important reminder is that you will get your pictures taken at the DFA office. I did not know this beforehand and so I brought my own pictures during the processing of my passport. But it turns out that is not needed. It is recommended that you review all information to ensure they are correct and then have it verified again before going to the cashier to pay.

On average, passports are released within 23 working days and you have to pay approximately PhP 950. But if you want to get your passport sooner, you can go for express processing with a slightly higher fee of approximately PhP 1,200.

All passports can only be claimed in the afternoon. Don't forget your receipt because it will be presented upon claiming.

9 comments:

  1. DFA Davao City a nice firm and a friendly staff. But the security personnel of the DFA Davao City @ SM Ecoland have no manners they provoking applicant to a fight Mr. Terante is the one example of the security that have no manners this kind of security guard must undergo in a Disciplinary Action. We hope that you will choose a security with have a good moral and choose a good agency for a good security. thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Friendly staff? Yung lalake sa information desk jan sa SM, sobrang bastos. Walang respeto. Akala mo kung sino. May nagtatanong ng maayos tapos kung sumagot, parang siya na ang pinakamagaling. Nagtataas pa ng boses. Kung ganyan siya humarap sa tao, he deserves to be fired. Hindi niya ginagawa ang trabaho nya ng maayos. Sobrang unprofessional.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing your experience i have my idea on how to get a passport. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. my age limit ba ang pagkuha ng passport?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good afternoon saan ba agency niyo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pag ibig, tin id, barangay id,employee. Id is still valid in applying for passport? Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Will they still need your school records? Reply pls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean if they're asking your school records to submit

      Delete